Wednesday, July 8, 2009

If it is Wednesday... It's Ceilidh Nite


Great day today in PEI. Sunny and 22 degrees C (that is about 72 F)

After the kids played with their new park friends (i think they love our fast talking New York youts) we went to the beautiful Cavendish Beach. really beautiful scene. soft sandy beach. frigid water. Once again Cam and Sophie braved it for a dip. Michael made an amazing sand castle and Gail and I read, napped and provided sporadic parental beach support.







Afterwards we drove The Beast to Charlottetown. The capital of PEI. I think Canada was founded in Charlottetown with The Confederation but all we found were ice cream shops and t-shirts stores. Actually that's not true, we also found an amazing mussels restaurant. Gail likes mussels and always asks me to try them. I do eat oysters and even steamers now and then but never been a mussels fan. Now i see what she was saying. We had really good mussels (I know because Gail said so) Place was called Flex Mussels and i believe they opened a restaurant in NYC so check it out next time you are in the city if mussels are your thing.

So in the Jay, MyRye.com style, here is photo of our dish. YUM!





So what is a ceilidh (pronounced kay-lee)? It is a traditional Gaelic social dance originating in Ireland and Scotland and it is common throughout this area. So we went to this Ceilidh that was held in the local community hall which was built in 1848. the performance was by The Ross family (two brother and two sisters) Consisted of a violin, drums, guitar and keyboard and lots of step dancing River Dance style. The hall was filled with locals and it was a hoot. So if you ever get the chance, check out the neighborhood ceilidh. I hope they didn't mind me parking The Beast on the front lawn of the Hall...



3 comments:

  1. Ok you guys, I think you should be writing and taking photos for myrye.com. I am really enjoying your blog -- laugh-out-loud funny and the pic of the mussels is SOOO myrye.com -- I had to laugh, picturing you holding -up the camera over the food! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Not to throw a damper on the beautiful mussels, which did by the way really look delicious, Le Provencal Bistro in Mamaroneck has all you can eat mussels. I think it's only on Monday, but you will have to check. They're pretty good, but too many to eat. I may just go there anyway since you whetted my appetite

    ReplyDelete