Monday, May 28, 2012

NASCAR

Sunday, 8:15 pm


What a day! It started at 5:30 for some of us when our iPhone alarm went off. After moving Sophie to a bunk from the couch (all are finding the bunk beds a bit claustrophobic) we de-hooked and closed the slide-outs and said bye y'all to Yogi and the gang and headed on south on 81 to Charlotte, NC. Mike was lucky enough to sleep the entire 4 hours, Sophie about 2, Cam kept Evan company as co-pilot while I dozed on the couch for a while.


We found our way to the credential building (one of those massive 18-wheelers converted into offices), parked aunt fanny, assured izzy that we'd be back and hit the infield and pit of the Charlotte motor speedway.


I'm not sure what I expected but if you told me I'd be using words like lug nuts and pit row in my sentences I would have thought you were crazy. We also experienced the red neck riviera and had to explain to Sophie what boobs for beer meant.

We got to see Danica Patrick's Go Daddy car. We stood on the track while the drivers were introduced by Tim McGraw.


We watched the National Guard parachute in (mike was almost recruited but told the guy no way). We literally stood in the lanes as the anthem was sung. We all got chills as the stealth bomber flew overhead. Then we made our way to our seats in the family section which gave us a good vantage point to watch the race.

So here's the thing about a speed race, ceretainly a long one. The first lap is definitely exciting, the second is too! You pick a car to follow, get excited as it roars by...




But by the 43rd lap.... Not so exciting. I actually brought the kindle so I could read my book club book but thought I would be heckled from the crowd. Fortunately we were in agreement to leave at the 100th lap.

I'm not even going to get into the people. The fans. It's almost too painful. Maybe tomorrow when there's some distance.

So we've just arrived at Camp Wilderness Resort (doesn't that sound like a Chevy Chase movie?) on the border of North and South Carolina. We actually made it to an RV park before dark! We are right across the street from Carowinds Amusement Park which is tomororw's excursion. The kids are already scootering around to get the lay of the land. Evan and I are exhausted... Looking forward to a shower, beer (boobs optional) and a good sleep but first Evan has to fix the leak under the sink (honestly... What part of vacation does that fall under???)

3 comments:

  1. Boobs for beer you say. I'll make sure I ask Sophie what that means next time I see her.

    ReplyDelete
  2. uncle david it means show me your boobs and i will give you a beer -soph

    ReplyDelete